Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- 1/4 cup of Bistro Blends Olive Oil
- 1 4-lb. sugar pie pumpkin or kabocha squash
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. each of sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of pepita seeds
- Cut the pumpkin in quarters, brushing olive oil on a baking sheet for at least 35 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Allow to cool after they have been cooked.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan.
- A Dutch oven works best.
- We suggest using Bistro Blends Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Meyer Lemon.
- Stir in onion, garlic and salt, and sauté for about 8 minutes.
- Peel the cooked pumpkin quarters placing them in the pan, adding the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Once the pumpkin has reduced down, stir in the coconut milk and maple syrup.
- Remove from heat, and blend in batches in a food processor.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with toasted pepitas.