Pomegranate & Balsamic Glazed Chicken Recipe
Prep time: 15 mins.
Cook time: 25 mins.
Yield: Serves 6
- Juice from 2-3 large Pomegranates * or 3/4 c. 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 c. Bistro Blends Heirloom Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 c. frozen baby carrots, thawed
- 3 green onions, diced
- 3 Tbs. olive or vegetable oil
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. crushed dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. crushed dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pd. hot cooked penne pasta (optional)
- Garnish (optional): 1/3 c. arils from 1 large Pomegranate
- Prepare garnish - Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl, reserving 1/3 cup and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
- Prepare fresh pomegranate juice. Cut pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
- Place oil in a large skillet; brown chicken pieces (in batches if you like) with carrots and onions for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender and both sides of chicken have been browned. Remove chicken pieces. Keep carrots and onions warm. In a low temp oven would suffice.
- Place broth in another skillet and add back chicken pieces; cover and simmer for approx. 8-10 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to platter; cover and keep warm. Reserve 1/3 cup of chicken cooking liquid.
- In the same skillet, with reserved chicken cooking liquid, stir in pomegranate juice, Bistro Blends Heirloom Balsamic Vinegar, cornstarch, brown sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer 2 minutes.
- Drizzle some of the sauce over chicken and vegetables; garnish with reserved arils. Serve with pasta if desired, and pass remaining sauce.