Meatloaf with Balsamic Mushroom Sauce
For the Meatloaf:
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Heirloom Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, large ones quartered and small ones left whole
- 1/4 cup Heirloom Balsamic Vinegar, plus two tablespoons
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt & pepper
- grated parmesan, for garnish
For the Meatloaf:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, onion, garlic, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Next, stir in the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning. Stir until just combined.
- Add the ground beef and, using your hands, combine everything together just until the breadcrumb mixture is well combined with the beef.
- Form the beef mixture into a loaf and press it into a 1.5-quart loaf pan.
- Bake it at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees.
- Remove it from the oven and let it rest for at least five to ten minutes before slicing and serving.
- Melt four tablespoons of the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the quartered mushrooms and let them cook until they are golden brown, about ten minutes.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of the balsamic vinegar and let it boil until the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- In that same pan, add 2 tablespoons of butter and let it melt.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and let them cook in the butter for a few minutes.
- Add the beef stock and bring it all to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the beef stock is thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon.
- Turn off the heat and add the parsley and cream.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper to start).
- Spoon the quartered mushrooms over the meatloaf slices before pouring a few tablespoons of the sauce over the top.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and grated Parmesan.