Balsamic Roasted Turkey with Apple Stuffing
To thaw out a frozen turkey place in refrigerator – this will take about one day for every 5 pounds, a 15 pound bird needs 3 days. Alternatively, thaw the bird in a cold water bath, this requires 30 minutes per pound – 7 1/2 hours for a 15 pound bird. Below are cooking instructions for the thawed turkey.
- Remove the gizzards (save in refrigerator for gravy).
- Rinse bird well and pat dry with paper towels; then truss (tie legs together with string).
- Place turkey breast side up in a roasting pan, then put rosemary inside bird.
- Drizzle bird with oil and balsamic vinegar, then sprinkle with salt.
- Wedge apples around roasting pan to prop turkey up evenly - place 2 apple halves in cavity of bird.
- Place roasting pan with turkey, apples, etc. in oven on lowest rack.
- Roast at 325°F, 15 minutes per pound; a 15 pound turkey requires 3 hours and 45 minutes. If skin begins to brown too soon, cover with tin foil.
- To check temperature stick a meat thermometer deep into thigh; at 175°F it is safely done. Remove turkey from oven and allow to sit for 20 to 30 minutes before carving.
Take note, because of the balsamic vinegar in this recipe, the turkey skin will be much darker than a bird cooked in the traditional method.