Glazed Balsamic Beets
- In a large saucepan cover beets with salted water by 1 inch.
- Simmer beets, covered, 35 to 45 minutes, or until tender, and drain in a colander.
- Cool beets until they can be handled and slip off skins and stems.
- Cut beets lengthwise into wedges. Beets may be prepared up to this point 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
- Bring beets to room temperature before proceeding.
- In a large skillet stir together vinegar and oil and add beets.
- Cook beet mixture with salt and pepper to taste over moderate heat, stirring, until heated through and coated well.
- Sprinkle about half of thyme over beets and toss gently.
- Serve beets sprinkled with remaining thyme.