Sun-Dried Tomato Minestrone
Prep time: 15 mins.
Cook time: 40 mins.
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Bistro Blends Sundried-Tomato Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 oz. pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pd. Swiss chard, stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 russet potato, peeled, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 – 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 – 14 oz. cans low-sodium beef broth
- 1 oz. piece Parmesan cheese rind
- 2 Tbs. fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, pancetta, and garlic. Sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the Swiss chard and potato; continue sautéing for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and rosemary sprig. Simmer until the chard is wilted and the tomatoes break down; about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend 3/4 c. of the beans with 1/4 c. of the broth in a processor until almost smooth.
- Add the pureed bean mixture, remaining broth, and Parmesan cheese rind to the vegetable mixture. Simmer until the potato pieces are tender, stirring occasionally; about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the beans and parsley. Simmer until the beans are heated through and the soup is thick, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Discard Parmesan rind and rosemary sprig (the leaves will have fallen off of the stem.) Then serve. Drizzle a bit of Bistro Blends Sundried-Tomato Balsamic Vinegar over the top of each serving.