One 2 1/2-pound boneless pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the spice rub:
- Combine the paprika, oregano, black pepper, brown sugar, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl and toss with your fingers to mix.
- Rub the spice mixture onto the pork on all sides.
- Place the pork in a slow cooker insert.
- Add 1/2 cup Bistro Blends BBQ sauce and cover the slow cooker.
- Cook on high until the pork is fork-tender, 4 to 5 hours, or on low, 8 to 10 hours.
- Transfer the pork to a carving board. Let the pork stand, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile add 2 tablespoons of the simmering pork liquids to the remaining BBQ sauce.
- Bring the BBQ sauce to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat, about 10 minutes.
For the tangy carrots:
- Pour the vinegar into a medium bowl and sprinkle with the granulated sugar. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the parsley and carrots and toss. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Using two forks, shred the pork and discard any excess fat.
- Heap the pork onto the buns and top with extra BBQ sauce and the tangy carrots.
- Serve immediately.